Agendas & Minutes


February 5, 2008

SPECIAL TOWN BOARD MEETING
PAHRUMP TOWN OFFICE
400 N. Highway 160
February 5, 2008

Tuesday – 7:30 a.m.

 


Agenda

1.    Call to order.

1.    Public Comment. Action may not be taken on matters considered during this period until specifically included on an agenda as an action item (NRS 241.020(2)(C)(3).

2.    Discussion, Action and Decision regarding Board action responding to resignation of Town Manager.  Town Board.

3.    Adjournment

POSTED IN THE PAHRUMP TOWN OFFICE, COMMUNITY CENTER, COUNTY COMPLEX AND FLOYD’S ACE HARDWARE

SPECIAL NOTE: Any member of the public who is disabled and requires accommodations or assistance at this meeting is requested to notify the Pahrump Town Office in writing, or call 775-727-5107 prior to the meeting.  Assisted listening devices are available at Town Board meetings upon request.

 


Minutes


PRESENT:                    ABSENT:
Laurayne Murray                Don Rust
John McDonald    
Nicole Shupp
Dan Sprouse

CALL TO ORDER

Chairman Murray called the meeting to order at 7:36 a.m. and led in the Pledge of Allegiance.

PUBLIC COMMENT

There were no public comments.

DISCUSSION, ACTION AND DECISION REGARDING BOARD ACTION RESPONDING TO RESIGNATION OF TOWN MANAGER (David Richards)

Laurayne Murray explained that David Richards officially submitted his intention to leave his position as Pahrump Town Manager.  

John McDonald motioned to accept the resignation of the Town Manager effective February 29, 2008.  Dan Sprouse seconded the motion.

Motioned passed 4 – 0.

Chairman Murray stated that certain activities needed to begin for the replacement of the Town Manager.  Mrs. Murray noted that in the past they have appointed a two member authority of the Board to start the direction to staff to begin the recruiting and selection process including advertising and associated screening to find candidates to present to the Board.  

Dan Sprouse motioned that the Chairman and Vice Chairman start looking for a replacement for the Town Manager and give them the authority as such.  Nicole Shupp seconded the motion.

Vote passed 4 – 0.

Special Town Board Meeting
February 5, 2008

Laurayne Murray requested that the pay is appropriate and a final report on the projects remaining be updated.  Mrs. Murray suggested the Board assign an authority for the interim time until the replacement of the Town Manager.

Dave Richards stated that by going through his activity report and inserting a comment on who to contact, including phone numbers, for each item.  Mr. Richards said he could review this report with who ever would be the replacement so they would have an understanding of the status and who would be responsible for accomplishing those tasks.

Dan Sprouse asked if authorization is necessary to be given to the department heads on behalf of the Town Manager.  Mr. Sprouse noted that Fire Station #3 has a lot of things going on with WilDan that the Fire Chief will probably be making decisions about.

John McDonald suggested that the Board designate an acting Town Manager during the interim period and suggested Mr. Michael Sullivan.  Mr. McDonald suggested additional compensation during the interim period for his service at the equivalent of the Town Manager.

Chairman Murray stated that she was considering the transition period and that Mr. Richards was moving a long way.  Laurayne Murray suggested that Mr. Richards be allowed the opportunity to move ahead with his plans.  Mrs. Murray proposed that Dave Richards turn in his keys and computer passwords, etc. making his leave by the end of the week and establish the authority of department heads, with Mr. Richard’s pay continuing until the end of his resignation notice including eligible compensation for remaining annual leave and sick pay.  

Dan Sprouse and Nicole Shupp expressed concern regarding the transition time.

Dave Richards said he anticipated his last day of work would be February 22, with his time continuing until February 29.  The interim time would be vacation time.  Mr. Richards said he felt the timeline Mrs. Murray suggested would be inadequate to do what needs to be done, although he could get it done by February 22.

Dan Sprouse stated he agreed that Mr. Sullivan would make a fine Town Manager if it were not so near to him working on the upcoming budget.  Mr. Sprouse was concerned about over tasking Mr. Sullivan.  

John McDonald asked for input from Mr. Sullivan.  

Michael Sullivan agreed that this is a tough time of the year and asked what the projected interim period would be.  Mr. Sullivan stated that there should be some continuity.  


Special Town Board Meeting
February 5, 2008

Laurayne Murray suggested that the alternative would be to allow the authority to the department heads to take on responsibility in their areas and have Mr. Sullivan pick up the Administration area.  Mrs. Murray stated that the department heads could directly report to the Town Board as opposed to having an intermediary.  

Dan Spouse confirmed that Mrs. Murray was suggesting that Building and Grounds and the Fire Department heads would report directly to the Town Board. Laurayne Murray agreed.  This would leave Mr. Sullivan to his projects and would have the responsibility of the Administrative Staff.   Chairman Murray added that there should be an approval limit of $5,000 that the Town Manager has that no other departments have at this time.

Dave Richards stated that he feels what is being proposed is appropriate and agreed that Michael Sullivan has many duties at this time.  John McDonald offered his help to Mr. Sullivan, if needed, to work on the budget on a volunteer basis.  

John McDonald motioned that the schedule as outlined by Mr. Richards with him working through February 22, and then take annual leave for the final week of his resignation period and that those terms and conditions be accepted.  The other matters could be dealt with later.

Dan Sprouse asked Mr. McDonald to amend his motion to include that the back pay be paid in accordance of his contract.  Mr. McDonald stated that it would happen anyway and would just need to be calculated as specified in his contract.

Dan Sprouse seconded the motion.

Bernie Fleeman commented with regards to recruitment for the position of Town Manager, if the recruitment would be a national recruitment.  

John McDonald replied that proccedure has yet to be determined and would be determined by him and the Chairman.  Mr. McDonald noted that he is aware that speed is of the essence.

Vote passed 4 – 0.

Laurayne Murray asked Mr. McDonald for clarification that no action be taken be taken on the interim at this time.  John McDonald said he feels the Board should take action so the transition can start.  Mr. McDonald stated he would like a concrete proposal of what authority would be increased and what kind of authority to the department heads would exist.  



Special Town Board Meeting
February 5, 2008

Dan Sprouse suggested that the department heads would have the same authority as the Town Manager has.  Mrs. Murray agreed and noted that the only difference would be the $5,000 signature limit which would be specified for the Finance Director.  All final decisions would come before the Board other than personnel issues which the department heads generally make recommendations anyway.  

Dan Sprouse motioned that the department heads will now report, for the Fire Department and Buildings and Grounds, will report directly to the Town Board with the same approval and authority as the Town Manager has existing. Mr. Sprouse moved that Michael Sullivan has the approval authority up to $5,000 that the Town Manager has at this time and that Michael Sullivan will oversee the Administration Staff.  John McDonald seconded the motion.

Charlie Gronda asked who will be responsible for the Airport Project as he will be coming before the Town Board at the next meeting for a Resolution.  Chairman Murray replied that the Town Board will be responsible.  Mr. Gronda noted that all actions will have to go before the Board.  Mrs. Murray explained that all the advisory boards now report to the Town Board.  Mr. Gronda explained that the Town Manger usually deals directly with the Airport people and there is going to be a change in the money and the rules.  Charlie Gronda stated that there will be more grant money involved.  Laurayne Murray suggested that this should be worked out with the liaison.

Vote passed 4 – 0.  

Laurayne Murray explained that Mr. Rust was unable to attend this meeting and she has his suggestions which indicate his requests that a final report be written summarizing his projects.  This item has been addressed.  Mrs. Murray stated that Mr. Rust requested the Board consider Dan McArthur conduct an audit on any areas in which Mr. Richards would have been directly or indirectly involved regarding financial dealings since the start of the fiscal year.  

John McDonald stated that normally when there is change in executive officers the auditor would include a few extra audit steps.  

Michael Sullivan explained that Dave Richards does not have any responsibility for receipts or disbursements.  The 2007 audit is still being worked on.  Mr. Sullivan asked if there was something specific and he would have to check on the availability of Mr. McArthur.  

John McDonald said that based on prior experience, Mr. McArthur will be tied up with the County and doubts he will be available.


Special Town Board Meeting
February 5, 2008

Dave Richards commented that every check going out requires two signatures and he very seldom signs checks.  Mr. Richards pointed out that any accounts payable is reviewed by the Board.  

Mr. McDonald said that he would rely on the judgment of Mr. McArthur.  Laurayne Murray commented that she does not see any reason to ask for anything special and Mr. Rust can be more specific at the time Dan McArthur comes before the Board.  

One other concern that Mr. Rust had, Mrs. Murray stated, is that no monies be paid beyond the pay that is due on February 29.  Laurayne Murray noted that this was already discussed.  

Dan Sprouse suggested getting the advertisement done quickly.  Chairman Murray replied that this will be done and they will review the current job description to make sure everything in the advertisement is appropriate.  

Bernie Fleeman stated that as an employee and as a citizen, working with Dave Richards has been a privilege.  Charlie Gronda commented that having Dave here the past four years has helped the airport project.  
 
ADJOURNMENT

Chairman Murray adjourned the meeting at 8:07 a.m.



Respectfully submitted,



Laurayne Murray, Chairman
 

 


Backup

There is no backup posted for this meeting.