Agendas & Minutes


March 28, 29, 30, 2005 SPECIAL TENTATIVE BUDGET HEARING

SPECIAL TOWN BOARD TENTATIVE BUDGET HEARING MEETING
PAHRUMP TOWN ANNEX
270 NORTH HIGHWAY 160
MONDAY – MARCH 28, 2005
TUESDAY – March 29, 2005
WEDNESDAY – MARCH 30, 2005
7:00 P.M.

 


Agenda

1.    Call to order

2.    Announcements.

3.    Public comment.

4.    Discussion, action and decision regarding fiscal year 2005-2006 tentative Town of     Pahrump and Pahrump Swimming Pool District budget.   Town Board

5.    Adjournment.
    
    
    
POSTED IN THE TOWN OFFICE, COMMUNITY CENTER, COUNTY COMPLEX, AND FLOYD’S ACE HARDWARE, TOWN ANNEX

 


Minutes

SPECIAL TOWN BOARD MEETING
TENTATIVE BUDGET HEARING
PAHRUMP TOWN ANNEX
270 NORTH HIGHWAY 160
MONDAY – MARCH 28, 2005
7:00 P.M.

MINUTES

PRESENT:                    ABSENT:
Richard Billman                Paul Willis
Ed Bishop
Laurayne Murray


CALL TO ORDER

Chairman Richard Billman called the meeting to order.

ANNOUNCEMENTS

There were no announcements.

PUBLIC COMMENT

There were no public comments.

DISCUSSION, ACTION AND DECISION RGARDING FISCAL YEAR 2005-2006 TENTATIVE TOWN OF PAHRUMP AND PAHRUMP SWIMMING POOL DISTRICT BUDGET

Dave Richards began discussions by reporting that earlier in the day projections were received from the State (League of Cities) regarding the legislation for taxes and the potential cap.   Mr. Richards stated that it appeared that a 3% cap will be passed.  Dave Richards explained that the 3% is not across the board but on residential property.  The figure for budgeting purposes used was based on 3% although it is predicted that a higher cap will be placed on commercial property.

Mr. Richards stated that due to there being new Board members he would describe how the budget is set up and how he would propose to proceed with explaining the revenues and expenditures for the various funds.  

Dave Richards explained that the is set up with a General Fund, Revenues and Expenses, as well as the Special Revenue Funds such as Business Licensing, Pool, Road Tax Fund, State Tourism Room Tax Fund, Economic Development Room Tax Fund, Parks Room Tax Fund, Arena Room Tax Fund, Tourism Room Tax, Fairgrounds Room Tax, Cemetery, Cemetery Perpetual Care
Special Pahrump Town Board Meeting
Tentative Budget Hearing
March 28, 2005

Fund, Fall Festival Fund, and Airport Grant Fund.  Mr. Richards said there is a Special Revenue Fund and the Capital Funds for the Ambulance and for the Fire Department. Dave Richard said he would describe the revenues and expenses in summary.  If there are questions about specific funds or specific items that have been budgeted or if you have concern about any item that has been projected, he would be willing to answer those questions and make amendments as necessary.  It is anticipated that this can be accomplished all in one night, and if necessary come back tomorrow with any proposed changes and also reserve Wednesday, if needed to finish things up.  

There was some confusion regarding page one of the proposed budget.  It was described as the one stated 3% hybrid tax beneath the title is the correct page one.  Michael Sullivan explained that pages 2 – 4 can be dispensed also as they include speculation of other tax cap proposals.  

Mr. Richards explained page one of the tentative budget which includes the General Fund five year cash flow projections, fiscal year 2005-10 with the 3% hybrid tax cap proposal.  Dave Richards pointed out the first column of numbers reflect the Adopted Fiscal Year 2005 Budget.  The revised 2005 Budget is the next column and is what we think we will finish the year with, followed by the Fiscal Year 2006 Proposed Budget, and then projects for the next four years beyond that with the 3% cap.  

Mr. Richard pointed out that on line nine, total revenues for Fiscal Year (FY) 2005 revised budget is $2,541,311 and for FY 2006 there is a proposed total revenues of $2,855,231.  Dave Richards explained that on line nineteen you will see total expenditures in the revised 2005 budget of $2, 992,510 and the proposed FY 2006 budget of $3,658,663.  The ending fund balances for 2005 of $922,645 and for 2006 a projected fund balance of $119,213.  Mr. Richards noted that the figures are based on if we collect the revenues that are projected and expend all the funds as expressed in the summary.  The expenditures include (line 10) General Government which is Administration and Building and Grounds of $1,538,000, Fire Department (line 11) $1,333,750, Culture and Recreation which is TV and Arena (line 12) $31,500.  Dave Richards stated that there were transfers to take into consideration (lines 13 – 18) in Cemetery Fund $10,000, Ambulance Fund has a transfer out to the various funds of $200,000.  General Fund Capital Projects Fund $400,000, Debt Service $85,413 and Contingency $60,000.  Mr. Richards noted that transfers total $755,413.  Total expenditures are $3,658,663.  

Laurayne Murray asked if the revenues, expenditures and total revenue variances are just for that year not considering the beginning year in the revenues.  Dave Richards responded that it is not added into the revenues.  Ms. Murray asked if it was considered when getting to the ending fund balance.  Mr. Richards replied yes.  Laurayne Murray added that even though it shows an $803,000 net loss we are still not expending more than what we have in the funds.  Mr. Richards replied total funds, that is correct.  


Special Pahrump Town Board Meeting
Tentative Budget Hearing
March 28, 2005

Ed Bishop asked why $10,000 was being transferred into the Cemetery Fund and was not the cemetery supposed to be self sustaining.  Dave Richards replied that normally they are not and we do not sell enough lots to make it self sustaining and it is necessary to provide that amount for general maintenance.  Mr. Bishop said he presumed that lot sales have gone down since we now have another cemetery in Town.  Mr. Richards agreed.  Dave Richards stated that he feels this coming year we will review our policies and practices at the cemetery and maybe make some changes to them that will make the cemetery more attractive, not only to the residence but also to the mortuary that has to deal with those clients.  Some of the policies, Mr. Richards said, are counter productive.   

Laurayne Murray questioned the additional units/year (line3) for anticipated growth.  Michael Sullivan explained that as more information comes out about the proposal, it appears we will be able to capture the new building growth at market.  Mr. Sullivan said that some of the projections for growth of new units is in the thousand plus range.  This was an attempt to capture beyond the 3% any other additional revenue we could get from property tax.  This is based on the assumption that the homes will be at $200,000 market value, 35% assessed or $70,000 assessed value based on the Town’s twenty-two cents per $100.  This would come to approximately $161 per new household in additional property tax.  

Ed Bishop pointed out that this is also assuming that the Assessor’s Office is going to get them assessed as they are constructed rather than four years down the road.  Mr. Sullivan agreed.  It is not known if it will begin in 2006 as it appears that the average has been approximately 800 new units, both modular and stick homes, for the past two years, calendar year.  

Dave Richards resumed his Summary of General Fund Uses by Department and Transfers (page 4).  Mr. Richards explained that this summary includes the total projected expenditures which include salaries, benefits, proposed operating materials and supplies, capital outlay and transfers to other funds.  Total operating departments include: Administration, Buildings and Grounds, Fire Department, Arena, TV Translator, and Contingency, $2,963,250.  Mr. Richards pointed out that the total transfers amount to $695,413.  They include $400,000 to the General Fund Capital Improvements Projects Fund, Debt Service Fund, Ambulance Fund and Cemetery Fund.  Total General Fund uses of $3,658,663 of which $695,413 are transfers.  

Ed Bishop asked about the Contingency (line 6) and is that amount predicated on the $60,000 from the brothel fees.  Michael Sullivan replied no, it is a similar number but not related to it.  Mr. Sullivan explained that a contingency is required by the State for each year.  If it is not used it is taken off.  

Mr. Richards continued with his explanation (page 5) of the General Fund Summary, which relates the same information that was listed in the previous summaries.  This page gives a comparison from 2002 through the proposed budget of 2006.  Mr. Sullivan added that this is a format required by the Stated.
Special Pahrump Town Board Meeting
Tentative Budget Hearing
March 28, 2005

Dave Richards noted that page 6 details the General Fund Administration Division totaling a proposed 2006 budget of $667.000.  The revised 2005 budget is $566,500.  Mr. Richards noted that they are increasing the budget by a percentage.  The only Capital item in the budget is a vehicle replacement.  There are two vehicles in the Administration one of which will be probably replaced this year for $20,000.  Dave Richards stated that the rest of the figures are stable over the years of operations.  Mr. Richards asked Michael Sullivan if increases were projected in the Salaries.  Mr. Sullivan replied that it has gone down because one position was no longer there.  Mr. Richards and Mr. Sullivan agreed that there was 4% for merit increases but nothing for COLA increases.  

Ed Bishop asked about $1,000 being budgeted for Social Security.  Mr. Sullivan replied that it is a place saver in case someone is retained on a part time basis.  Mr. Bishop asked about $5,000 for subscription and $10,000 for membership and dues.  Mr. Bishop asked what the Town is subscribing to and belonging to that would cost $15,000 a year.  Ed Bishop noted that it would be a lot of publications and asked if anybody on the office has time to read that many publications.  Dave Richards said he would provide a breakdown if Mr. Bishop so desired.  Mr. Bishop said he would like to see that.  

Lauryane Murray referred back to the Salaries & Wages and asked if the figure included the new position of Enforcement Officer.  Dave Richards replied that the position for that would be in the Business License special revenue fund.  Ms. Murray was also wondering why the memberships and dues was doubled.  Michael Sullivan pointed out that $10,000 was adopted last year as well.  The level was set higher than the actual expenditures so the same level was continued but agreed it is worth looking at.  

Dave Richards continued with the Building & Grounds (page 7) noting that the revised 2005 budget$768,000 and a proposed 2006 budget of $871,000.  This would include $110,000 in Capital Outlay and $378,000 in Salaries and Wages and benefits of $156,000.  

Mr. Richards noted that page 8 lists the Capital Outlay items totaling $110,000 in the proposed projects for 2006.  This page also shows the projects that were completed or will be completed in 2005.  Ed Bishop asked about the item to rehabilitate the electrical boxes at Petrack Park and the 600 amp electric service.  Mr. Bishop asked how that would relate to the extra electrical equipment that is being asked about for Fall Festival.  Michael Sullivan noted that there are two separate transactions in that the project that Matt completed was the rehabilitation of the RV boxes.  The extension cords and generator for Fall Festival were rented.  Mr. Sullivan said that because it worked well that Fall Festival is going to buy the extension cords this year and rent the generator and will be paid for by the Fall Festival and will not come from Building and Grounds Funds.  

Dave Richards continued on to page 9, the fire department operating fund.  Mr. Richards noted that on line 37 has a revised 2005 budget of $982,600 and a proposed 2006 budget 2006 of
Special Pahrump Town Board Meeting
Tentative Budget Hearing
March 28, 2005

$1,333,750.  This includes $601,000 in payroll expense, $274,000 in employee benefits, materials and supplies of $234,750 and Capital Outlay of $224,000 which includes a match for equipment grants and fire trucks and capital leases.  The proposed projects for 2006 are water tender replacement at $175,000, and a command vehicle at $65,000.  Dave Richards stated that this year the rehab of Engine 1 was completed at $130,000.  Michael Sullivan noted that there was a modification to this as part of the funding in 2006 will be used for a command vehicle and then the brush truck. This is a modification that needs to be made to the tentative budget.  For clarification, Mr. Sullivan stated that for 2006 there will be a command vehicle for $65,000 and potentially water tender for $175,000.  Michael Sullivan pointed out that there is not enough adequate funding inside to do the two, but they are on the list and will try to work through grants or additional funding.  

Ed Bishop asked about Dispatch services (line 8) and will the $25,000 satisfy the Sheriff so the Town will get its $60,000 in brothel money or will the County keep it like they did this year.  Dave Richards said he would let Michael Sullivan explain the accounting that took place this year.  Mr. Richards noted that they did not agree with the way it was done.  Mr. Richards stated that Mr. Rodewald took the initiative himself to do what he did.  Dave Richards said that we will wait for the new comptroller/finance director and then talk with him about how it is done.   Mr. Bishop said he understands the need to help pay for the dispatch but also knows that they only asked for funding one time.  The last time they asked was six years ago when he went to war with the Sheriff.  Suddenly the County said they were going to keep our $60,000.  Mr. Richards added that the County did not have Board approval to do that, and was an administrative action which we will try to undo.  Michael Sullivan stated that the financial position is unresolved at this time.  When the books were closed for 2004, it was an outstanding issue between the two entities.  Mr. Sullivan said he asked Dan McArthur that the Town be booked for the $60,000 to which Mr. McArthur created a receivable for the Town and a payable for the County.  Michael Sullivan noted that Mr. Bishop was partially correct in that we did not receive the cash for the brothel fees, but neither have we paid the $25,000 for last year.  It is now running into the 2005 budget and will definitely impact the 2006 budget.  Michael Sullivan stated that through Dave Richard’s efforts with Michael Maher this should be resolved at the administration level.  Mr. Sullivan said there are many unwritten agreements, many handshake agreements, tapes, and things like that.  Michael Sullivan stated that Charlie Rodewald claimed we had no right to any $60,000 and that he could not find it.  There was a one time thing.  Mr. Sullivan said we are still going around the block on it and this is a place saver in the budget.  The budgets are tight enough for Fire-Rescue and did not want the $25,000 to go the wrong way.  Michael Sullivan mentioned that Chief Lewis brought it to the attention and did not get it booked into the tentative budget that fuel pricing was not adequate and will be revised and will increase the allocation for fuel for both fire and ambulance.  Mr. Sullivan said $30,000 is being looked at for fuel on line 15, and will also be looking at an increase for fuel in the ambulance budget as well in the final budget.

Dave Richards said he wanted to bring to the Board’s attention is that the Revised budget for 2005 is $445,000 versus $601,000.  In 2005 the adopted amount was $560,000.  This is an
Special Pahrump Town Board Meeting
Tentative Budget Hearing
March 28, 2005

appropriation that includes two positions that have not been filled. And they have not been filled in 2005 and discussion is needed to see if they will be filled.  

Mr. Richards moved on to the General Fund Arena Fund (page 10) of $15,000 with the revised 2005 budget of $11,500 and proposed for 2006 $15,000.  The $5,000 in Capital Outlay is for general up keep of the arena.  

Dave Richards explained the General Fund Television Fund (page 11).  The adopted 2005 budget amount was $16,500 and the 2006 budget remains at $16,500 as well.  This is for operating supplies and power usage.  

Continuing with the General Fund Transfers, Mr. Richards noted the amount $400,000 to the Capital Improvements Projects Fund; $85,413 to the Debt Service Fund; $200,000 to the Ambulance Fund; and $10,000 to the Cemetery Fund.  The Contingency fund is $60,000.  The Total for all of the above is $755,413 from the General Fund.  Richard Billman asked for what the reason is for the large increase in the Debt Services.  Michael Sullivan pointed out that in line 2 the difference is shown for last year and this year.  Mr. Sullivan noted that we issued $375,000 in 10 year medium term notes for the ladder truck.  We will begin payments in August of 2005.  Dave Richards noted that the detail of the Debt Service Fund is found on page 13

Dave Richards moved on to page 14, the Ambulance Fund.  This is a summary of the Ambulance Enterprise Fund showing projected receipts $1,972,000.  Total operating disbursements are proposed at $1,820,700.  Included is the depreciation expense of $200,000.  The total operating expenses amount to $2,020,700 for an operating loss of ($48,700).  There is a transfer in from the General Fund of $200,000 (line 14) leaving a net income of $153,300.  Pages 15 and 16 are the detail of the Ambulance Fund.  Mr. Sullivan suggested raising Vehicle Fuel (line 17) to a $50,000 allocation for 2006 rather than $42,000 as shown.  Michael Sullivan suggested looking at page 16 (line 46) where the brothel grant is there as non-operating revenues for $60,000.  Mr. Sullivan said this is eventually moved from the Ambulance Enterprise Fund to a Capital Fund which will be looked at later that goes into the Ambulance Capital Fund.  Michael Sullivan explained that the Enterprise Fund is a fund that operates differently than the General Fund.  In reality it is called the Ambulance Capital Fund but it is an Enterprise Fund with restricted cash inside the liabilities and assets.  Dave Richards noted that on page 15 (line 4) has the proposed Salaries and Wages of $945,000 for 2006.  In 2005, $1,033,137 was adopted and it was revised to $900,000.  Mr. Richards commented that this is not adding up with the two positions open.  Dave Richards said he would be discussing this further with Chief Lewis.  It works on the fire side but does not work here.  Mr. Richards said that he misspoke earlier.  Dave Richards clarified that the COLA will not be included in either the Ambulance or Fire budgets, but the step increases are contractual so they must be added in the budget.  Mr. Richards said he would provide new numbers for those items.  Laurayne Murray clarified that both the fire and ambulance salaries and wages are understated.  Mr. Richards and Mr. Sullivan agreed that they are understated.  Dave Richards asked Chief Lewis if there are two positions not filled.  Chief
Special Pahrump Town Board Meeting
Tentative Budget Hearing
March 28, 2005

Lewis replied that there are actually three positions, Assistant Chief on the fire side, and two transport people on the Ambulance side.  Richard Billman asked if there would be more discussion on the grants from the brothel fees here.  Mr. Sullivan replied that it would be discussed later.  

Mr. Richards continued by indicating that the Summary of Special Revenue Funds is listed on page 17, with the details on following pages.  Business License has a beginning fund balance of $138,507 with projected revenues of $90,500 and expenditures of $75,950.  This indicates revenues over expenses by $14,550 with an ending fund balance of $153,057.  This does include the part time position.  Dave Richards commented that there should be discussion on a wage adjustment for the Business License Clerk position.  The position was hired in with just business license responsibilities and had other responsibilities added in the absence of a Town Manager and she continued with those responsibilities and it is not reflected in her job description.  Updating the job description for this position will be looked into.  Ed Bishop asked if those responsibilities are not directly related to the business license issues can her wages be upgraded from the Business License Fund as they say they are specifically to be used for the business license clerk.  Dave Richards replied that the short answer would be probably, but we could go to the cemetery fund.  Mr. Bishop stated that he understands that she is doing the extra duty, but also understands that when the business license ordinance was passed that it was specifically stated that any money generated had to be used for the business license.  Dave Richards agreed.  Mr. Bishop said he does not want anyone to create a problem from this.  Mr. Richards said they will anyway.  Dave Richards stated that while on the subject of job descriptions there are two employees that job descriptions need to be discussed as they have additional responsibilities that they never anticipated.  Increases in their wages will be discussed as well.  Laurayne Murray said that given the fact that the new position will have a lot of responsibilities for being out in the field will there be a vehicle or gas mileage for them.  Mr. Richards said there is a vehicle they can use.  Ms. Murray asked if the vehicle will be used for business license activities the cost will come from the General Administrative Fund.  Mr. Richards replied that they might want to put fuel and maintenance in the business license expenditures.  Michael Sullivan noted that the General Operating Supplies of $5,000 may be able to absorb those expenses.  

Dave Richards referred to the Swimming Pool Special Revenue Fund (page 19).  It was noted that the beginning fund balance is $171,718, revenues total $131,758, making total available resources $303,476.  Expenditures in this Fund are Salaries and Wages at $45,000, Operating materials and supplies at $16,300, Capital Outlay of $20,000 making total expenditures $87,600.  Revenues over expenses will equal $44,158, leaving an ending fund balance of $215,876.  Mr. Sullivan explained that this fund is largely supported by taxes not by swim lessons. Michael Sullivan noted that lines 3, 4 and 5 will probably change due to the 3% hybrid tax cap will affection this fund.  Mr. Sullivan stated that another bill that was signed and in place is the Consolidated Tax distribution for the second year has been revised downward to the tune of approximately $120,000 in the General Fund.  The two changes anticipated in this fund are the Consolidated tax and the property tax losses.  Dave Richards said that he is still hoping that the
Special Pahrump Town Board Meeting
Tentative Budget Hearing
March 28, 2005

automated pool chemical distribution system will be coming from the 2005 budget.  Mr. Richards said there will be no roof for the pool.  There was some discussion regarding a dome for the pool and asked that some investigation be done to get a price before the final budget meeting.  Matt Luis stated that it is hard to get quotes and they want to know what it will support.  Ed Bishop recommended the possibility of an inflatable roof.  Dave Richards replied that is what they are looking at not a fixed structure.  

Mr. Richards moved on the page 20, the Road Special Revenue Fund.  Dave Richards explained that the Town receives the gas tax, 1.75%, $300,000 per year, we make no demands on the County and when asked if they would patch Honeysuckle Street and the need for a patch there and the County staff volunteers to pay for it and provide them with a quote.  Then it appeared on the Board of County Commissioners agenda.  Mr. Richards explained that it was a surprise to him that he read the Commissioners turned it down.  Dave Richards said he called the Commissioners and reminded them that we give them $300,000 per year to projects, they reminded him that they chip seal streets and spend more than $300,000.  Mr. Richard asked them if they knew that their staff had volunteered to pay for this project.  The Commissioners were not aware of that.  There seemed to be a breakdown in communication.  Dave Richards said that they are going to reduce the Town’s payment to the County by $9,475 to pay for Honeysuckle Street.  Mr. Billman asked if we can do that.  Dave Richards replied we can, if they can take the brothel fees from us.  Ed Bishop suggested reducing the $300,000 by $60,000 and they can keep the brothel fees.  

Dave Richards resumed the budget by going to page 21, State Room Tax Special Revenue Fund.  There is a beginning fund balance of $59,448, revenues total $25,100, services and supplies of $41,000.  We have expenditures exceeding revenues by ($15,900).  This will draw down the fund balance to $42,548.  These are for Tourism related projects.  Mr. Richards noted that last year this accounted funded requests from the Pahrump Arts Council, Fall Festival Entertainment Committee, and the Miss Pahrump Pageant.  Page 22 is a listing of proposed projects for 2006 which total $25,000 for the Pahrump Arts Council, $16,000 in other grant requests.  Ed Bishop asked about proposed new fund initiatives for 2006 and noted that the Pow Wow is not listed at $10,000; the rodeo at $5,700 is not listed.  Michael Sullivan explained that those items come from another fund.  Mr. Bishop noticed that the budget goes from proposed programs in 2005 for the Arts Council of $12,500 to $25,000 this year which is double in one year.  Mr. Bishop asked if they plan to double their request again next year.  Ed Bishop noted that they did add things and understands that but it is a big jump in funding.  Dave Richards pointed out that they still have a fund balance and will not be able to do this every year.  Michael Sullivan said there were several new items added this year and could be in place as a place saver although they are hopeful that this, along with good timing and funding matches they may be able to accomplish their goals.  Mr. Sullivan explained further the problems that Arts Council has with locations, etc.  

Mr. Richards went on the page 24, the Economic Development Room Tax Special Revenue Fund has a beginning fund balance of $188,791, and revenues expected are $46,000.  We use
Special Pahrump Town Board Meeting
Tentative Budget Hearing
March 28, 2005

professional services in this endeavor and we do not have an economic development person and we are anticipating expenditures of $163,000 which will draw down the ending fund balance to $71,791.  The expenses show the continuance of using MAP in their efforts on behalf of the Town and will be including a feasibility study for communications and technology, marking materials, development and production development and partnership, and potential Community Development Block Grant matches, and the annual clean up day for a total of $163,000 from this fund.  Richard Billman noted that this will not be able to be done year after year.  Laurayne Murray asked for more information on the feasibility study: communications and technology.  Michael Sullivan explained that these are place savers and believes this was a topic frequently discussed because of the infrastructure deficit.  Mr. Sullivan stated that there has been talk about bringing in new facilities for economic development but our infrastructure for communications and technology is maybe at a deficit.  Things that have been discussed were communications from Pahrump to another base location and do we have the fiber network capabilities.  The question would be do we have what is needed to attract a real candidate for economic development and the Town may contribute something to a study of this nature.  Mr. Sullivan stated that from an economic strategy what is needed to have an industrial park that is viable.  Ed Bishop asked Dave Richards if there is an Economic Development Advisory Board and if so where are they.  Mr. Richards replied that we do and said he has asked that himself.  Mr. Bishop noted that he has been the liaison for that advisory board since last May and has yet to see an agenda for anything to do with the Economic Development Board.  Dave Richards said they did meet three times between June and August.  Mr. Richards stated he has been unsuccessful in getting the board together since the fall.  Dave Richards added that the group is difficult to motivate.  Laurayne Murray asked about a rule that if you miss a number of meetings you are considered resigned.  Richard Billman added that in this case they just do not have meetings.  Ed Bishop asked about the $3,000 in the proposed projects for Annual Clean Up Day.  Mr. Bishop explained that last year they spent $1,500 although they asked for $3,000.  Ed Bishop stated that he assumed that if they asked for $3,000 and only used $1,500 that $1,500 is returned.  Mr. Sullivan added that last year it was joint effort and the County added something along with donations from the community.  Mr. Billman stated that the County was not going to be involved in the project this year.  

Continuing with the special revenue funds, Mr. Richards went on to the Parks Room Tax Special Revenue Fund.  The beginning fund balance is $66,068, revenues expected are $30,500, expenditures including Capital Outlay total $91,000 leaving expenses over revenue of ($60,500) bringing down the ending fund balance of $5,568.  Dave Richards named the proposed projects: Last Chance Park Phase I, Petrack Park sidewalks which may include other improvements, which total $75,000 for these projects.  Ed Bishop asked if the Last Chance Park Phase I from the 2005 for $35,000 is not completed and wondered if this was the same $35,000 being carried over to 2006.  Dave Richards replied yes.  Mr. Bishop asked what the status was on the Last Chance Park and if the land had been acquired.  Mr. Richards replied that we have not but MaryEllen Giampoali is preparing the application and it goes to the County for approval which is required by the Bureau of Land Management and he believes it will be on the second agenda for
Special Pahrump Town Board Meeting
Tentative Budget Hearing
March 28, 2005

the County in April.  Laurayne Murray asked if this is where the Room Tax from the RV parks goes when we get it.  Michael Sullivan said yes.  Ms. Murray asked if the funds will be received in 2006.  Mr. Sullivan explained that we have been getting room taxes from RV parks in the past.  The attempt was to levy it on what might be called comp days or membership days.  There was discussion concerning the amount that will be received and where the parks are now and the ownership of spaces, impact fees on dwellings.  

Mr. Richards continued on with the Arena Room Tax Special Revenue Fund (page 28) with a beginning balance of $46,660, revenues of $30,100, expenditures of $50,000, leaving the ending fund balance of $26,760.  Proposed projects for 2006 is the purchase of panels for the new fairgrounds.  

Dave Richards moved on to the Tourism Room Tax Special revenue Fund (page 29) noting that the beginning fund balance is $419,457, revenues expected are $142,000, expenditures proposed are $273,000, leaving expenses over revenues at ($131,000), bringing down their fund balance to $288,457.  Mr. Richards stated that there is a proposed list of projects for 2006 and those that have been completed in 2005 on pages 30 and 31.  There was some discussion of items that have been used in 2005 and those carried over to 2006 and the amounts.  Michael Sullivan explained that this information was drafted before some of the approvals were made and the Welcome to Pahrump signs would be an additional item and needs to be incorporated into the budget.  Ed Bishop asked about a kiosk maintenance allowance and we have no kiosk.  Mr. Sullivan stated that again, this is a place saver in the budget.  Laurayne Murray said she feels the kiosk needs to go on Town property.  

Mr. Richards resumed discussion on the budget and referenced the Fairgrounds Room Tax Special Revenue Fund (page 32).  Dave Richards stated that the beginning fund balance of $458,696, revenues of $142,000, total expenditures including Capital Outlay of $550,000 of which is all Capital Outlay.  Expenses over revenues come to ($408,000), leaving and ending fund balance of $50,696.  Listed are the proposed projects for 2006 which include water shares, engineering services, well and pump, interior roads, water lines, intersection engineering and a contingency.  Also listed are funds provided through PETT, Congressional Grant, Nye County Note Issue and Fairgrounds Room Tax.  Mr. Richards pointed out that water is going to be a major issue.  Dave Richards explained that the Town Attorney is of the opinion that we had a contract proposed to sell the Town water and the Town Board accepted the contract.  The seller will be getting a letter asking them to document when the sale took place and for how much so that the Town may pursue the 28 acre feet that we were told was sold before getting the paperwork to them.  Richard Billman stated that they used our offer to leverage the County.  Laurayne Murray added that they got it for free in the first place they acquired the water rights there was not cost involved.  

Page 33 provides the information for the Airport Grant Fund.  Mr. Richards stated the revenues will be $220,000, expenditures are expected to match those revenues.  Dave Richards asked the
Special Pahrump Town Board Meeting
Tentative Budget Hearing
March 28, 2005

Board to take note that there is no payroll or benefits for Mr. Gronda and is only for engineering services.  

Mr. Richards moved on to page 34, Cemetery Special Revenue Fund.  The beginning fund balance shows $10,669, revenues projected of $16,000 and expenses of $15,000 which includes a transfer from the General Fund and leaves revenues over expenses at $1,000.  The ending fund balance would be $11,669.  Dave Richards explained that this fund continues to get a transfer from the General Fund and maybe should be merged into the General Fund.  This will cut down on the number of funds that need to be audited.  Ed Bishop stated this may be one of those items that must be separately maintained.  Mr. Richards said that the Cemetery Perpetual Fund must be kept separate.  Dave Richards said that the Town cannot sell the cemetery but it may be able to give it back to the County.  Ed Bishop suggested giving it back to the County.  Dave Richards said it would need a Board action to do that.  Several Board members said to put it on an agenda.  There was discussion concerning selling the cemetery which would involve the County as there is a reverser clause and they would want to be the one to sell it.  Ed Bishop asked if there was previous discussion to sell it to the Pahrump Mortuary.  It was decided to put it on an agenda to give it back to the County.  Dave Richards added that the perpetual care money would have to go with it.  

Next is the Cemetery Perpetual Fund (page 35).  Mr. Richards explained that this is set up for when all the lots are sold there is money to maintain the cemetery.  Dave Richards said they had looked into ways to access this fund so money did not have to be taken from the General Fund, but it is clear what the intent of the funds are for.  Laurayne Murray suggested that some of the maintenance hours should be taken from this fund.  Ed Bishop explained that if the hours used in maintenance are for opening and closing graves it cannot be taken from this fund.  Laurayne Murray said they do all kinds of things like pulling weeds, setting grave markers, etc.  Ed Bishop agreed that that is perpetual care.  

Moving on to page 36, Fall Festival Special Revenue Fund, the beginning fund balance is $69,219, revenues total $230,000, anticipated expenditures $220,000, leaving an ending fund balance of $79,219.  Expenditures include a transfer of funds to the Fairgrounds and Parks Room Tax funds.  

The Numbering System Special Revenue Fund must be maintained for one more year for the Department of Taxation purposes.  (page 37)

Following on pages 38 through 48 are the Capital Projects Funds for various departments.  

Dave Richards reported that the General Fund beginning balance is $1,226,879, revenues total $400,500, expenditures proposed total $1,555,000 leaving expenditures over revenues of ($1,154,500) and an ending fund balance of $72,379.  The details of these accounts follow page 38.  
Special Pahrump Town Board Meeting
Tentative Budget Hearing
March 28, 2005

Dave Richards explained the General Fund Capital Projects Fund has the $400,000 transfer in from the General Fund (page 39).  Proposed projects for 2006 are listed which totals $1,555,000.

Mr. Richards continued with the General Fund Special Ad Valorem Capital Fund explaining that this is a fund that has not been tapped in the past and we are now going to utilize it.  The beginning fund balance of $103,824, total revenues are $25,300, a Capital Outlay proposed of $115,000 with an ending fund balance of $14,124.  Listed on this page are the proposed projects for 2006.  These include $65,000 for Public Transportation and $50,000 for a Youth Services Program.  Dave Richards stated that in 2005 the Town is proposing to purchase a backhoe for Buildings and Grounds that is the explanation for the $125,000 in the revised 2005 budget.  A request for this purchase will be on the next Town Board meeting agenda.  Ed Bishop asked what was in mind for public transportation.  Dave Richards responded that it is a project from Laurayne Murray.  Ms. Murray stated there will be a presentation at our next meeting for Pahrump Senior Center and they have already applied for various grants from the State, County and Federal levels.  This would be a piece to potentially help them with matching funds.  Mr. Bishop asked if the $50,000 was the project he presented.  Michael Sullivan replied yes.  

Continuing on page 43 is the TV Construction Capital Projects Fund.  The beginning fund balance is $50,542, revenues of $200, Capital Outlay is proposed at $30,000, leaving and ending fund balance of $20,742.  Mr. Richards suggested that the Town replace two more translators.  KLVX project worked well and the equipment will eventually need to be replaced.  The requirement to switch to digital is unknown but we cannot do this with the equipment we have now.  Ed Bishop asked if the two new ones would be able to be converted.  Dave Richards replied yes.  Mr. Richards said he had a conversation with a TV person who said we can generate revenue with these translators that the stations are required to allow one minute an hour of advertising for local advertisers.  Mr. Richards said he will be pursuing that further.

The Arena Capital Project Fund has a beginning fund balance of $3,282.  Mr. Richards and Mr. Sullivan noticed that the budget information did not look correct.  Dave Richards said this will be brought back.  

Fire Vehicle Capital Fund (page 45) has a beginning fund balance of $8,993, revenues total $5,000, total expenditures of $3,910, and the ending fund balance is $10,083.  Mr. Richards asked if the information for the proposed projects for 2006 was correct.  After some discussion it was determined that this information was incorrect, and corrections will be made.  Michael Sullivan the proposed projects were in the General Fund Capital Outlay and the listed projects in this fund need to go out and will be paid out of the General Fund, Fire Department, Capital Outlays for next year.  

Mr. Richards moved on to the last fund, Ambulance Capital Project Fund that has a beginning fund balance of $97,193.  A transfer from the Ambulance Fund is the revenue of $60,000, Capital Outlay of $125,000, leaving a projected ending fund balance of $32,193.  Dave Richards
Special Pahrump Town Board Meeting
Tentative Budget Hearing
March 28, 2005

stated that it is recommended that the Town replace two ambulances in 2006.  If this is done, there will be a new fleet if two ambulances are purchased in 2005.  This would be due to significant mileage and a need to be replaced.  Mr. Richards said we would not be anticipating any infusion of tax revenue through a special levy.  The Town will not get any money until 2008 if a levy is approved when it’s in place in 2007.  Dave Richards commented that there is no way to avoid replacing the vehicles and will continue to get more and more mileage on them.  There was some discussion regarding PETT.

Dave Richards listed the PETT requests from Nye County that were included in the budget.  If successful in getting the PETT requests met there will be money in the budget to purchase other items.  This is for 2005-06 and if they operate as they have in the past, the County will not take action until January or February of 2006.  Mr. Richards said that the Town is proposing funding for two ambulances, community center repairs, fairgrounds funds for water rights and engineering, Honeysuckle Park soccer field lights, Gamebird and Homestead fire station.  Dave Richards pointed out to Lauryane Murray that they are confusing the developers.  Mr. Richards said he is telling them the Gamebird and Homestead station will service their project and Ms. Murray is telling them that it is the Mountain Falls project.  Mr. Richards said if you do that the developers say there are 3500 homes that will reduce their participation costs because they only have 800 homes.  Mr. Richards said he is trying to get them to pay for the whole station on Gamebird and Homestead themselves.  Laurayne Murray stated that she wants them to pay for both.  Ms. Murray said the developer’s argument for reducing the amount of money that the will pay the Town for the station at Gamebird and Homestead is going to be because that station is going to be put in place to service an existing population including Calvada and Mountain Falls.  They feel they are not the full contributing factor to that station because they are only one-tenth of the population going to be served by that station.  Lauryane Murray said if that station goes in out of PETT funds it is for an existing population as opposed to the station on Kellogg which is not for an existing population, it is for the increased population based on their developments.  Their developments are the 90% of the impact and should carry the full rate.  Ed Bishop said the argument the developer can make about the Kellogg station is that it serves Artesia and Cottonwoods.  There was more discussion regarding the impact in the southern area.   It was decided that they would call this request for PETT funds construction of Station #4 at Gamebird and Homestead.

Mr. Richards continued naming his PETT funds requests listing the Last Chance Park tortoise mitigation, Simkins Park soccer fields, and the sanitary sewer project, skateboard park lights, and the two water tender trucks.  Ed Bishop commented that there were two of the requests that he has an issue with.  $250,000 for tortoise mitigation is 2-1/2 times the cost of the park development for tortoise mitigation.  Dave Richards said yes.  Richard Billman said that is not a choice.  Mr. Bishop said the lights at the skatepark are an issue for $75,000.  Ed Bishop said he has never been to the skateboard park and seen more than 10 or twelve kids there and what would they be doing there after dark.  We should not be encouraging them and another issue would be shadows which could lead to potential litigation.  Matt Luis suggested that power is
Special Pahrump Town Board Meeting
Tentative Budget Hearing
March 28, 2005

needed at Passive Park.  Currently there is temporary power there from fields 1 and 2.  Mr. Luis said to get power to that park could light the park and the skate park from that area.  Mr. Sullivan asked if they could rename the request to be used for Passive Park.  Ed Bishop suggested it be renamed to upgrading the lighting/power in Passive Park.  There appeared to be a consensus to make that change.

Michael Sullivan explained that an approval of the tentative budget must be submitted by April 15.  Will there be an approval?

There was discussion on when to schedule a meeting to see the changes in the budget.  Mr. Richards suggested Wednesday to give them time to work on it.  There was discussion regarding approving the tentative with the changes, therefore they would not need to meet again.

Ed Bishop Motioned to approve the tentative budget with the adjustments and changes as discussed.  Lauryane Murray and Richard Billman seconded the motion at the same time.  

Vote passed 3 – 0.  

Richard Billman noted that the motion carried, tentative preliminary budget with complications and recalculations as noted.

ADJOURNMENT

Richard Billman adjourned the meeting.


Respectfully submitted,


Laurayne Murray



cc:    Town Clerk                            
    Cristina Hinds
Nye County Treasurer                        
Dan McArthur                
Town Board                    
    Nye County Planning            
    Nye County Commissioners            
            Nye County Clerk
/cw
 

 


Backup

There is no backup posted for this meeting.