Agendas & Minutes


November 17, 2004

SPECIAL PAHRUMP TOWN BOARD MEETING
BOB RUUD COMMUNITY CENTER
150 NORTH HIGHWAY 160
WEDNESDAY – 7:00 P.M.
NOVEMBER 17, 2004

 


Agenda

1.    Call to order.

A.    Pledge of allegiance
B.    Welcome

2.    Public Comment (Action may not be taken on matters presented during this period until specifically included on an agenda as an action item (NRS 241.020(2)(c)(3).

3.    Discussion, action and decision regarding cell phone for Town Board members. Town Board

4.    Presentation and Discussion, Action and Possible Decision regarding Pahrump Valley Fire Rescue Task Force recommendations to the Town Board. PVFRS Task Force/Town Board

5.    Adjournment



POSTED IN THE PAHRUMP TOWN OFFICE, COMMUNITY CENTER, COUNTY COMPLEX, FLOYD’S ACE HARDWARE, AND CHAMBER OF COMMERCE

SPECIAL NOTE: Any member of the public who is disabled and requires accommodations or assistance at this meeting is requested to notify the Pahrump Town Office in writing, or call 775-727-5107 prior to the meeting.  Assisted listening devices are available at Town Board meetings upon request.  

There may be a quorum of Nye County Commissioners and/or Advisory Board members present at this meeting.

 


Minutes

PRESENT:
Paula Glidden
Richard Billman
Ed Bishop
Jeanna Howard
Paul Willis
Cristina Hinds, Attorney

CALL TO ORDER

Chairman Paula Glidden called the meeting to order and led in the pledge of allegiance.  Ms. Glidden welcomed those in attendance.  

PUBLIC COMMENT

There was no public comment at this time.

DISCUSSION, ACTION AND DECISION REGARDING CELL PHONE FOR TOWN BOARD MEMBERS

Ed Bishop explained that he would like the Board’s approval for a Town cell phone for use on Town business.  This action could include any other Board member interested in a cell phone.  Mr. Bishop stated that he already receives many calls, approximately 10 -15 calls per day at home and would like to free up his home phone.  Ed Bishop stated that his personal cell phone number will not be given out for Town business and should not be required to as an unpaid Board member.  Mr. Bishop pointed out that his personal phone records are his personal business.  With a Town cell, any calls made would be public record and anyone can check those to see who he would be calling and who is calling him.  This would be the sole purpose for the phone.  

Jeanna Howard Motioned to approve cell phones for any member of the Board that needs one.  Richard Billman seconded the motion.

Paula Glidden stated that she agrees with Mr. Bishop as she uses her cell phone a lot for Town business.  Ed Bishop said he does not want to have to come at a later date to ask for reimbursement.  
Vote passed 5 – 0.
Special Town Board Meeting
November 17, 2004
PVFRS Task Force Presentation

PRESENTATION AND DISCUSSION, ACTION AND POSSIBLE DECISION REGARDING PAHRUMP VALLEY FIRE RESCUE (PVFRS) TASK FORCE RECOMMENDATIONS TO THE TOWN BOARD

Paula Glidden introduced the members of the Task Force: Annette Barlow, Vice Chair and Acting Chair; Scott Culshaw; Walt Kuver; John McDonald; Allan Parker; Bill Pyzyna; Jane Snow; and Paul Willis, former Chairman.  Ms. Glidden applauded them for their time and effort.  Paula Glidden pointed out that they spent a lot of time doing meetings and research.  It is appreciated by the Town Board.  Ms. Glidden introduced Annette Barlow

Annette Barlow welcomed all to the presentation meeting and thanked the Town Board for calling the meeting for the presentation and recommendations of the Task Force.  Ms. Barlow acknowledged spouses and families of the Task Force for their support.  Annette Barlow noted that the Task Force was to recommend a permanent and long range solution for providing adequate and cost effective fire and rescue service to the residents of Pahrump and surrounding communities.  

Ms. Barlow pointed out that the Task Force was guided by a principle throughout their months and hours of discussions and deliberations.  That being that no entity has a more vested interest in insuring that the citizens of Pahrump and surrounding areas have adequate fire protection, emergency medical services and rescue service capabilities, both now and in the future.  

Annette Barlow explained that in reality the task force could only look at the next two fiscal years.  Ms. Barlow stated that an advisory board is needed to provide the Town Board with an ongoing group to continue to monitor and advise on fire and rescue service requirements.  It was pointed out that the Task Force held open meetings every Wednesday since July 28, 2004.  There have been 16 meetings, each lasting two to three hours each.  Hours have been spent outside the meeting doing research, interviewing people, reading materials, studying laws, doing surveys, contacting other departments in other towns, looking for every possible solution for a recommendation that would be in the best interest of the Town, but most importantly the citizens that live with Pahrump and its’ surrounding communities.  

Ms. Barlow noted that it was never the intention to look for a band-aid to cover the problems temporarily.  It was the intent to find a permanent solution so the people could feel at peace knowing they have the best service available.  

Annette Barlow continued by explaining the process in which they came to their recommendations and the backgrounds of all the Task Force members.  Ms. Barlow thanked those specifically involved with the Task Force, although not members.  

Paula Glidden announced that the presentation would be made by Allan Parker.

Special Town Board Meeting
November 17, 2004
PVFRS Task Force Presentation

Allan Parker proceeded with his power point presentation (attached).  

Jeanna Howard asked if Mr. Parker could go the recommendations from the Task Force on revenue, that proposing ways the Town could bring in funding to subsidize the recommendations.  Allan Parker replied that the ways the Task Force is recognizing is that they believe the County should impose a fire levy of 15 mil, which is noted in the financial section of the final report, is a viable way to fund the requirements over the next eight years as required by the PVFRS.  Mr. Parker added that John McDonald is the expert having looked at all the various possibilities.  Allan Parker added that the Task Force explored other possibilities beside a fire levy.  A fire levy was not the first choice.  Mr. Parker said they looked at privatization, impact fees, subscription fees, and things mandatory and voluntary and nothing in these areas seemed as viable as the 15 mil fire levy.  Allan Parker said that they are actually endorsing paying off the hospital district debt and sell off those assets.  Mr. Parker noted that the Task Force believes that a 15 mil fire levy can fund the recommendations made in the final report.

Harley Kulkin commented that the report was great, but there needs to be an addendum as there is a lot of developments coming into the community and feels that a section should be added specifically relating the developer’s agreements.  Mr. Kulkin said the group is commendable for what they accomplished.  

Paula Glidden replied that much of what Mr. Kulkin is referring to must come from the County.  This Task Force is making recommendations to the Town Board for what they can do.  There was more discussion regarding impact fees and the Task Force plan.  Jeanna Howard commented on discussions with the Regional Planning Commission with regards to impact fees and how it impacts various parts of the community.  Harley Kulkin commented on the need for money for equipment and commented that the County is taking no steps to control growth.

Sheriff Tony DeMeo commented that he does not understand the problem with volunteerism in Pahrump.  Mr. DeMeo noted that it is his opinion, having worked as a volunteer service in New Jersey.  Tony DeMeo said he worked as a volunteer trainer himself.  Sheriff DeMeo said that volunteers were offered a slight break on their property taxes.  Tony DeMeo said he found no suggestions of giving volunteers any incentives in the report presented.  

Sheriff DeMeo said he wanted to address the back billing of the Sheriff’s Office for expenses that PVFRS incurs and commented that he does not know what those expenses would be.  Tony DeMeo said he knows of expenses that have not been paid for by the Town, communications being one of them, and trying to find a way to deal with that adequately.  Sheriff DeMeo said they used to use the PVFRS for getting blood draws from prisoners.  That become outrageous in cost and the Sheriff’s Office had to out source that procedure.  Tony DeMeo stated that whatever contract that PVFRS wants to engage in, he does not know what that is.  Sheriff DeMeo said he knows that insurance companies are billed for auto accidents and the Sheriff’s Office does not.  

Special Town Board Meeting
November 17, 2004
PVFRS Task Force Presentation

Sheriff DeMeo asked for someone to tell him what expenses have not been reimbursed for to the Town of Pahrump.  He said he would be happy to address that with the County Commissioners.

Jeanna Howard responded that it is declared as the Sheriff’s Office as there must be some ownership of it.  Ms. Howard stated that it is when EMS is called up to address needs related to inmates.  Jeanna Howard pointed out that the Sheriff’s Office also experiences the same problems.  There was future discussion regarding billing for services to the inmates and their insurance.  Tony DeMeo replied that there would be privacy issues involved.  It was assumed by the Sheriff’s department that PVFRS would take care of the billing with the patients being transported.  

Jeanna Howard clarified that it was not the intent of the Task Force to imply fault on the Sheriff’s Office.  It is something that needs to be looked into.  Ms. Howard pointed out that most detention facilities have their own medical services.  Sheriff DeMeo commented that that his department has no complaints with the Pahrump, Beatty or Tonopah ambulance services.  He stated that the service has been great.  Tony DeMeo stated that the will sit down with Chief Lewis and see where the issues are.  Sheriff DeMeo said he has talked with the Town Manager and it is his understanding that any issues concerning information can be given from the jail if needed.  

Paula Glidden asked if there was a way to bill the inmate an amount of money for each call to detention.  Jeanna Howard noted that so many of these billing go right into collections due to the challenges in the process.  There was more discussion regarding inmate rights and the cost to the County to house some inmates.  

Jeanna Howard noted that Sheriff DeMeo brought up that the Town owed him money for something and what that would be.  Tony DeMeo replied that there was a budget meeting concerning overtime for his department at Fall Festival.  Sheriff DeMeo noted that approximately 515 hours were spent on Fall Festival.  Toney DeMeo commented that he had been fighting the Commission not to bill the Town for that money because the money is a fund raiser or way of gathering funds for the park and fairgrounds.  Sheriff DeMeo noted that they do not charge the other town for those services.  

Jeanna Howard said she thought something was said about dispatch.  Sheriff DeMeo said he brought that up in that dispatch is something that the Sheriff’s Office has been working with the Town Manager on, trying to get some type of fee schedule.  Tony DeMeo stated that what had happened was that an arbitrary figure was put out and no one can understand why this figure was quoted.  Sheriff DeMeo said a figure for a dispatch position was stated and the amount in the contract does not equal a dispatch position.  Tony DeMeo said he is working with the Town Manager and looking into the amount of calls that the Sheriff’s Office dispatch and the amount of air traffic and attaching some fee based on those estimates.  No one has been able to find a contract and it is unsure if it was a handshake deal or something different, Tony DeMeo
Special Town Board Meeting
November 17, 2004
PVFRS Task Force Presentation

explained.  Ms. Howard asked if there has been a set amount given to the County for dispatch.  Sheriff DeMeo said there has not.  Jeanna Howard said this would be another reason to find money as this is another issue that needs to be addressed.  

Jeanna Howard clarified that the point of the question to the Sheriff was that there was the mention of money owed for dispatching which is being discussed is the PVFRS funding needs.  

Allan Parker responded to a comment regarding incentives for volunteer and stated that although it was not addressed in the report does not mean it was not discussed.  Mr. Parker noted that they do not feel the work of the Task Force is complete and addressed the more immediate issues.  This is the reason for asking that a permanent body be appointed.  

Andy Alberti asked if the expenses projected out for so many years if the projections included cost increases for equipment and personnel or if the figures were based on today’s figures, and were factors for inflation considered.  Allan Parker replied that the figures do include many of the things specified in the question.   Mr. Parker noted that at the beginning it was stated that all the projections were estimates.  A hard look was looked at for the first two years accounting for inflation and growth.  Allan Parker pointed out that nothing in the plan is in concrete.  

John McDonald addressed the numbers and noted that equipment does take into account inflation as far as it can be determined at this time.  Mr. McDonald noted that the Task Force was conservative with projections.  

George Gingell commented that the Task Force did a terrific job as he attended many of the meetings.  Mr. Gingell said he felt that the Task Force should be allowed to get into the agreements for the developers.  

Paula Glidden explained that the Task Force plan is the basic unit with other building blocks getting attached later on.  Whether it be impact fees or taxes there is a need to fund the services and must be funded from the community.  Ms. Glidden pointed out that this is the time to come together as a town and fight the battle and make it a good system.  

Robert Smith commented that by his attending these meeting in the past nine months about 70% out of the Town Boards and Commissioners mouths is about raising taxes.  Mr. Smith stated that if the Town wants to pay for equipment for the fire department, take $3 million away from the school system for four years to pay for it.  They get $61 million per year and is more than they need.  

Paul Willis asked Mr. Smith what kind of service he would want for a fire department.  Paula Glidden explained that the Town does not have control over the school money.  Ms. Glidden explained that the Town does not control its tax base, the County does.  Pahrump is 80% of the tax base for the County and the Town does not receive 80% of the tax base.  
Special Town Board Meeting
November 17, 2004
PVFRS Task Force Presentation

Paul Willis asked the Task Force what the 15 mil would bring in a year if the Commissioners would agree to it.  John McDonald replied that the projection is in the report.  The projection covers population growth; however it does not cover the inflation in property of already existing properties.  It is beyond the ability of the Task Force to predict the increase in property values each year.  

Jeff Bobeck commented that when the Board decides to spend someone else’s money it is polite to ask them instead of taking it by force.  Mr. Bobeck recommended that before a decision to levy any new taxes is done the people of Pahrump should be asked if they want to do this and if this is they type of fire department they want to have.  Jeff Bobeck said he would like to see that any new taxes being put up as a ballot initiative.  

Paul Willis stated that the Town does not have the ability to institute any new tax levy and they would have to be done through the County.  Paula Glidden said it is the job of the Town Board to ask.

Mac Frank commented that it is easy to talk about spending other people’s money.  Mr. Frank said he recently came from California as he could no longer take the ever increasing taxes.  Paula Glidden explained that there are esthetic taxes and then there are mandatory taxes.  Ms. Glidden said she feels that fire and safety is a mandatory part of the community.  For the citizens to be non active about the possibilities, it is incumbent upon the Town Board to become pro active in this matter.  

Mac Frank asked what the average value of a house in Pahrump is.  Paula Glidden replied that it is probably $200,000.  Mr. Frank asked how it is that the Hospital Debt is being factored in.  Allan Parker explained that the Task Force did not want to add an additional tax without seeing if there was a way to eliminate something.  Mr. Parker said that eliminating the Hospital District tax and the Debt has been talked about before.  Allan Parker pointed out that this is only a recommendation.  

Paul Willis asked Mr. Frank if he was satisfied with the service he has currently.  Mr. Frank replied that he was.  Mr. Willis reiterated that it is conditional on if the Commissioners are amicable to the suggestions.  

Ed Bishop asked Cristina Hinds regarding an email he received concerning retiring the hospital debt and believes there is an NRS saying that the County cannot do that.

Cristina Hinds replied that the question she was asked was not about retiring the debt but whether the money that was there could be taken to fund the PVFRS.  Ms. Hinds said that it could not as the ballot question was specific.  It did not say it could go for health care services but specifically for a hospital.  

Special Town Board Meeting
November 17, 2004
PVFRS Task Force Presentation

Paul Willis explained that on tax would need to be abolished and another instituted.  

John McDonald clarified that in 2002 the Hospital District was dissolved by the County Commissioners.  Regarding the NRS, the County is obligated to sell off the assets, continue the tax levy until it has paid off all of the liabilities, and then discontinued the tax.  Mr. Mc Donald also pointed out that by looking at the County Treasurer’s report through September 2004, they have the assets in the cash on hand to eliminate all of the hospital’s debt and thus eliminating the tax.  They have not done this yet.  The County is legally obligated to pay off the tax John McDonald said.

Laurayne Murray asked if the value based on $100,000 issue is retail, market value or assessed value.  John McDonald replied that it is based on what the County Assessor’s evaluation of the market value of the property is.  

Chuck Patti commended the Task Force for doing an excellent job.  Mr. Patti noted that there was an error in their computations in the magnitude of ten.  There was discussion concerning the revenue of a 15 mil tax levy and what the Department of Taxation considers a mil to be.

Jeanna Howard commented that the Town Board previously discussed what the Task Force has addressed and put in writing.  It was looked at what the Town via the County could impose within the Board’s legal parameters.  Ms. Howard asked if this was discussing establishing a fire district which would be a new tax going on the ballot and before the community for their opinion.  Ms. Howard clarified that this is talking about a fire district.

John McDonald explained further that whether it is a fire district or levy it would still be at the 15 mil.  Mr. McDonald pointed out that the fire levy can be imposed by the County Commission. It is not a fire district.  

Jeanna Howard said that she previously discussed a levy or going out for a fire district with the Town Manager.  Ms. Howard asked that Mr. Richards explain further.

John McDonald explained that the fire levy is not a fire district and the NRS referred to gives the County the ability, within the town limits or boundaries, to establish a 15 mil levy for the support of the fire service and does not require the vote of the people.  The other two suggestions do.  Mr. Mc Donald said the amounts would be the same.

Mr. Richards said he did not speak with Warner Ambrose from the Department of Taxation.  Dave Richards said he provided an opinion from the Town’s Auditor that stated his opinion that the range of dollars that would be generated by the mil increase varied from $90,000 to $9 million.  Mr. Ambrose commented from those estimates that he would be the ultimate authority of how much the mil increase would generate, or he would refer it to the Attorney General’s office for their opinion.  
Special Town Board Meeting
November 17, 2004
PVFRS Task Force Presentation

Jeanna Howard stated that the Board will go over what the Task Force has submitted to see what is feasible, what would need interpretation, and what needs correction.  Ms. Howard noted that every idea is a good idea; it is up to the Board to validate it.  Jeanna Howard thanked the Task Force for what they did.  

Cristina Hinds noted that the statute was enacted in 1846 and she has researched the legislative history.  Ms. Hinds stated that it was also her opinion that it was in the range stated.  Cristina Hinds said the Task Force was basing their opinion on a combination of what she and the Auditor told them.  

Paul Willis thanked the Task Force for a great job.

Paul Willis Motioned to accept the Task Force presentation and take their recommendation under advisement.  Ed Bishop seconded the motion.

Jeanna Howard asked that the Board make this a priority and review the reports as soon as possible and suggested setting a meeting for follow up.

Richard Billman suggested an item be placed on the December 14 agenda.

Paul Willis recommended that this wait until the new Board member is seated.

Jeanna Howard commented that she would not disregard Paula Glidden’s time spent on the Town Board.

Ms. Glidden pointed out that this will be an ongoing thing and would like to see an Advisory Board continue what the Task Force has started.

Vote passed 5 – 0.

Ms. Howard asked how many of the present Task Force would like to become members of a permanent advisory board.  Several raised their hands.  

Karen Spalding commented on the number of people present at the meetings and noted that no County Commissioners were present.  

ADJOURNMENT

Paula Glidden adjourned the meeting.



Special Town Board Meeting
November 17, 2004
PVFRS Task Force Presentation

Respectfully submitted,


Ed Bishop, Clerk



cc:    Town Clerk                    
    Nye County Treasurer                
    Town Board                    
    Nye County Planning            
    Nye County Commissioners            
            Nye County Clerk                       
            Cristina Hinds
            Dan McArthur

                                                                  
/cw

 


 

 

Special Town Board Meeting

November 17, 2004 (excerpt)

 

DISCUSSION, ACTION AND DECISION REGARDING CELL PHONE FOR TOWN BOARD MEMBERS

 

Ed Bishop explained that he would like the Board’s approval for a Town cell phone for use on Town business.  This action could include any other Board member interested in a cell phone.  Mr. Bishop stated that he already receives many calls, approximately 10 -15 calls per day at home and would like to free up his home phone.  Ed Bishop stated that his personal cell phone number will not be given out for Town business and should not be required to as an unpaid Board member.  Mr. Bishop pointed out that his personal phone records are his personal business.  With a Town cell, any calls made would be public record and anyone can check those to see who he would be calling and who is calling him.  This would be the sole purpose for the phone. 

 

Jeanna Howard Motioned to approve cell phones for any member of the Board that needs one.  Richard Billman seconded the motion.

 

Paula Glidden stated that she agrees with Mr. Bishop as she uses her cell phone a lot for Town business. 

 

Ed Bishop said he does not want to have to come at a later date to ask for reimbursement. 

 

Vote passed 5 – 0.

 


Backup

There is no backup posted for this meeting.