Agendas & Minutes


September 8, 2009

PAHRUMP TOWN BOARD MEETING
BOB RUUD COMMUNITY CENTER
150 NORTH HIGHWAY 160
TUESDAY – 7:00 P.M.
SEPTEMBER 8, 2009

 


Agenda


1.    Call to Order and Pledge of Allegiance.

2.    Discussion and possible decision regarding moving the order of, or deleting an agenda item(s). (Action)

3.    Advisory Board Reports, from Advisory Board Chairpersons and/or Town Board Liaisons on the status of Advisory Boards. (Non-Action)

4.    Town Manager Report. (Non-Action)

5.    Town Board Member’s Comments. (Non-Action)

6.    Discussion and possible decision on writing off bad debt for the Ambulance Fund in the amount not to exceed $265,653 for the period of March 2009 to July 2009.  (Action)

7.    Discussion and possible decision on approving a Room Tax Refund Request from Aces High (Saddle West Casino), due to their calculation error, in an amount not to exceed $51,042 from the various Room Tax Funds. (Action)

8.    Discussion and possible decision on permitting staff to move forward on obtaining feedback on increasing the Room Tax by 2% with the increased allocation being designated for the building the Proposed General Aviation Airport.  (Action)

9.    Discussion and possible decision regarding establishment of Town of Pahrump Volunteer Graffiti Abatement Program and authorization form for abatement on private property, encouraged by the Town. (Action)

10.    Discussion and possible decision on updating Town of Pahrump Personnel Policy 5.5.2 Exempt Employees. (Action)

11.    Discussion and possible decision Consent agenda items: (Action)

a.    Action – approval of Town vouchers
b.    Action – approval of Town Board meeting minutes of August 25, 2009
c.    Action - authorize signing committee to approve accounts payables for canceled meetings, November 24, and December 22.

12.    Future Meetings/Workshops: Date, Time and Location. (Action)

13.    Public Comment. Action may not be taken on matters considered during this period until specifically included on an agenda as an action item – NRS241.020 (2)(C)(3). (Non-Action)

14.    Adjournment.


A quorum of Advisory Board members may be present at any Town Board meeting but they will not take any formal action.

Any member of the public who wishes to speak during public comment or on an agenda item, at the appropriate time, will be limited to three (03) minutes.

Any member of the public who is disabled and requires accommodations or assistance at this meeting is requested to notify the Pahrump Town Office in writing, or call 775-727-5107 prior to the meeting.  Assisted listening devices are available at Town board meetings upon request.

This notice and agenda has been posted on or before 9:00 a.m. on the third working day before the meeting at the following locations:
PAHRUMP TOWN OFFICE, COMMUNITY CENTER, TOWN ANNEX, COUNTY COMPLEX, FLOYD’S ACE HARDWARE, CHAMBER OF COMMERCE

 


Minutes


PRESENT:
    Town Board:
        Nicole Shupp
        Bill Dolan
        Vicky Parker
        Frank Maurizio
        Mike Darby
    Staff:
        Bill Kohbarger, Town Manager
        Rick Campbell, Town Attorney
        Michael Sullivan, Finance Director

1.    Call to Order and Pledge of Allegiance.
Chairman Nicole Shupp called the meeting to order and led in the pledge of allegiance.

2.    Discussion and possible decision regarding moving the order of, or deleting an agenda item(s). (Action)
Chairman Shupp asked that Item #13, Public Comment, be moved forward following the Advisory Board reports.

Mike Darby motioned to move Public Comment to follow Advisory Board reports.  Frank Maurizio seconded the motion.

Vote passed 5 – 0.

3.    Advisory Board Reports, from Advisory Board Chairpersons and/or Town Board Liaisons on the status of Advisory Boards. (Non-Action)
Bill Dolan reported that the Fall Festival is on track and announced where tickets could be purchased for the rodeo and carnival
Mr. Dolan announced that Dr. Elliott Brainard, member of the Veteran’s Memorial Advisory Board, had passed away.

Item #13 was heard at this time.

4.    Town Manager Report. (Non-Action)
Bill Kohbarger reported that he had been inducted to the Pahrump Rotary Club and has been accepted to sit on the board of No To Abuse.


5.    Town Board Member’s Comments. (Non-Action)
Frank Maurizio commented the visit of Senator Reid and on the confidentiality statement on emails from the Town.
Nicole Shupp proposed canceling the September 22 meeting due to Fall Festival and the Annex being too small to handle the public attending the meeting.  A consensus was to keep the meeting on September 22 at the Town Annex.
Bill Dolan commented that the meeting with Senator Reid was set by the Senator’s office and we were to abide by their rules for the meeting.
Vicky Parker announced the Wild West Extravaganza dates were September 18-20 near Saddle West.

6.    Discussion and possible decision on writing off bad debt for the Ambulance Fund in the amount not to exceed $265,653 for the period of March 2009 to July 2009.  (Action)
Frank Maurizio asked if liens can be placed on homes.  Nicole Shupp explained that there is new software to decrease the 40% bad debt.  These are still in collection and may still be collected on.  There is a procedure that they are written off.
Bill Dolan asked why bad debts are being written off before going to collections.  
Michael Sullivan explained that those other than deceased will be going through the collection process and explained how the bad debts process works.  
Bill Dolan asked that the information be better reported. Michael Sullivan said the terminology change would be looked at.

Vicky Parker motioned to write off the bad debt from the Ambulance Fund in the amount not to exceed $265,653 for the period of March 2009 to July 2009.  

Motion died for lack of second.

7.    Discussion and possible decision on approving a Room Tax Refund Request from Aces High (Saddle West Casino), due to their calculation error, in an amount not to exceed $51,042 from the various Room Tax Funds. (Action)
Nicole Shupp explained that based on the review by Michael Sullivan and our Attorney that the refund should be made.
Bill Dolan asked why the accounts payable amount was $45,371 and what the discrepancy was.  Mr. Sullivan explained that the amount does not include a 1% State Room Tax, which we collect but belongs to the State.  Approval from the State has been requested to be able to refund their portion.  If approval is received in writing from the State, that amount will be refunded as well. Mr. Dolan had concerns about the dates the error was made and asked that it be looked into to be sure we are refunding the right company.  

Bill Dolan motioned to refund the Room Tax request from Aces High, aka Saddle West, up to $51,042 once the decision is reached from the State to pay the additional 1%.  
A second motion was made by Mr. Dolan asking that the Town pull PTO #32 to review, rewrite, and bring back to the Town Board in the next 60 days.

Nicole Shupp asked if this could be included in the motion.  Rick Campbell advised that it should be a separate agenda item.
Bill Kohbarger suggested that this be a direction to staff to review PTO #32.

Frank Maurizio seconded the motion by Bill Dolan.

Vote passed 5 – 0.

8.    Discussion and possible decision on permitting staff to move forward on obtaining feedback on increasing the Room Tax by 2% with the increased allocation being designated for the building the Proposed General Aviation Airport.  (Action)
Charlie Gronda spoke about this being a major step in the process of obtaining an airport for Pahrump.  Permission is being requested to talk to people with a vested interest in the Airport Project; the hotel owners.  Five percent of the funds will be from the Town and 95% coming from the FAA for the grant.  The cost is estimated between $20 and $25 million. The Town share would be approximately $1 million which could be covered under the 2% Room Tax over the next few years.  It could be 5 – 8 years before the building of the airport phase one.  

  Mr. Darby asked how it is determined that the Room Tax Funds could be spent.  Charlie Gronda replied that Room Tax is spent for the reason it was put there.  

Vicky Parker asked if there was any other way of funding the airport without using Room Tax Funds.  Mr. Gronda said other grants could be looked for.

Vicky Parker motioned that the staff moved forward in obtaining feedback on increasing the Room Tax by 2% and reporting back to the Town Board.  Bill Dolan seconded the motion.

Comments were heard from Robert Smith, Donald Cox, Harold Boggess, Harold Grimaud, Bruce Calley, and Dave Stevens.

Vote passed 3 – 2.  Mike Darby and Frank Maurizio voted nay.

9.    Discussion and possible decision regarding establishment of Town of Pahrump Volunteer Graffiti Abatement Program and authorization form for abatement on private property, encouraged by the Town. (Action)
Mike Darby presented a slideshow of pictures of graffiti found in the southern area of Pahrump.  There were approximately 100 pictures taken in 2.5 hours of research.  Mr. Darby spoke of the tagging problem. He talked with North Las Vegas regarding their program and how their system works.  
Mr. Darby asked that the Town work in conjunction with the Nye County Sheriff’s Office (NCSO) with the Town being responsible for a “hotline” for citizens to call to report graffiti.  The Town would then report to the NCSO.  NCSO has requested one body from the Town to assist with the removal and possible overseeing trustees from the jail.  Mike Darby has been asked who would fund the program and where the funds would come from.  Mr. Darby had hoped that being a volunteer program he would get assistance in finding the funds and man power hoping someone would come forward.  Mr. Darby said he is giving all his support and energy to assist the NCSO.  Mike Darby spoke about the hours to be spent on this project and the cost.

Bill Dolan explained that the $1.5 million budget that North Las Vegas has started out with twenty-five cents added to all garbage collection bills and built up their budget that way.  

Tony DeMeo explained that he felt this should be a partnership and community effort. NCSO will provide equipment and chemicals. Sheriff DeMeo explained the types of graffiti and how they are treated.  Tony DeMeo asked that the Town get the detailed information and report it to the NCSO.  He has established an online graffiti report system on the nyecountysherrif.net website.

Frank Maurizio asked how many phone lines are available at the Town Office.  Mr. Darby explained that there had been discussion regarding setting up a phone line inexpensively by adding an additional line for $23 per month.  Mr. Maurizio asked if a current line can be dedicated for the hotline.  Mike Darby noted that the Code Enforcement Officer suggested using his line.  Listening to the menu appeared to be a deterrent.  

Bill Kohbarger had concerns about taking a Building & Grounds employee out of service for the required hours.  Mike Darby explained that Matt Luis was on board for the idea.  

Vicky Parker does not have a problem with $23 a month for a separate phone line.  Mrs. Parker agreed that the Town phone menu is confusing and it could be advertised as separate number.  Her main concern was staffing.  Mr. Darby suggested it would go straight to voice mail.  

Bill Dolan asked if sending the information to NCSO weekly would suffice.  Sheriff DeMeo asked for it to be sent more often so it can be taken care of quickly.  

Bill Kohbarger suggested directing staff to meet with Matt Luis regarding a staff person to help and also look at putting in a new phone line.  Mr. Kohbarger would also like to meet with Sheriff DeMeo.

Rick Campbell said he would like to work on the language of the authorization form.

Linda DeMeo, Dave Stevens, Lu Komorowski, and Charlie Anazalone commented.

Mr. Darby thanked Pahrump Valley Disposal for their support for this project.

10.    Discussion and possible decision on updating Town of Pahrump Personnel Policy 5.5.2 Exempt Employees. (Action)
Frank Maurizio motioned to update the Town of Pahrump personnel policy 5.5.2 exempt employees.  Mike Darby seconded the motion.

Vote passed 5 – 0.

11.    Discussion and possible decision Consent agenda items: (Action)

a.    Action – approval of Town vouchers
b.    Action – approval of Town Board meeting minutes of August 25, 2009
c.    Action - authorize signing committee to approve accounts payables for canceled meetings, November 24, and December 22.
Frank Maurizio motioned to approve the consent agenda items a-c.  Mike Darby seconded the motion.

Vote passed 5 – 0.

12.    Future Meetings/Workshops: Date, Time and Location. (Action)
None scheduled at this time.

13.    Public Comment. Action may not be taken on matters considered during this period until specifically included on an agenda as an action item – NRS241.020 (2)(C)(3). (Non-Action)
Gary Varzycki asked for support from the Town concerning the Library.
Louie DeCanio commented about wasting money on the master plan, and pay raises for the County Commissioners.
Katreen Romanoff spoke regarding comments made about protestors during Senator Reid’s visit.
Harley Kulkin commented about employment and getting an item on the agenda.
Donald Cox commented about recognition for those that made this town what it is. He also commented about protestors and the Town Manager.
Lee Cromer commented on the use of the arena for ATV events and felt the Town Board should reevaluate the use of the arena.
Butch Harper talked about his efforts to collect patches for collages that are donated to children’s hospitals.
John Koenig thanked the Board for moving Public Comment forward.
Sandra Darby commented regarding protesting against Senator Reid.
Shirley Matson also commented about the day Senator Reid came to Pahrump and freedom of speech.
Lu Komorowski spoke about the first amendment rights.
Harold Boggess commented regarding paying for an ordinance.
Donna Cox clarified a statement made regarding the 4th of July.  She also spoke about confidential emails, private meetings with Senator Reid, and presented more petition signatures.
Richard Fenton spoke about the homeless people in the park and asked what the Board was doing about the situation.
Carl Moore commented about Senator Reid not wanting protestors at his meeting.
Sheriff Tony DeMeo replied to Mr. Fenton’s comments.
Bruce Calley talked about an issue with the Tourism and Convention Council and the Branding Plan Contest.
Dave Stevens commented about the recall effort and thanked Mr. Maurizio for presenting him with a cookie at the last meeting.  Mr. Stevens presented Frank Maurizio with a wood carving.

14.    Adjournment.
Meeting adjourned at approximately 8:53 p.m.

Respectfully submitted,

Vicky Parker, Clerk
Pahrump Town Board

 


Backup

Download Files

Type Title
PDF Backup Agenda September 8, 2009 1MB